Shapefile is an actively used binary data format created in 1995. The shapefile format is a popular geospatial vector data format for geographic information system (GIS) software. It is developed and regulated by Esri as a (mostly) open specification for data interoperability among Esri and other GIS software products. The shapefile format can spatially describe vector features: points, lines, and polygons, representing, for example, water wells, rivers, and lakes. Read more on Wikipedia...
- Shapefile ranks in the top 50% of languages
- the Shapefile wikipedia page
- Shapefile first appeared in 1995
- file extensions for Shapefile include shp, shx and dbf
- See also: dbase, autocad-app, xbase, unicode
- I have 18 facts about Shapefile. what would you like to know? email me and let me know how I can help.
Last updated July 22nd, 2019