Self is an actively used programming language created in 1987. Self is an object-oriented programming language based on the concept of prototypes. Self began as a dialect of Smalltalk, being dynamically typed and using just-in-time compilation (JIT) as well as the prototype-based approach to objects: it was first used as an experimental test system for language design in the 1980s and 1990s. In 2006, Self was still being developed as part of the Klein project, which was a Self virtual machine written fully in Self. Read more on Wikipedia...
- Self ranks in the top 10% of languages
- the Self website
- the Self wikipedia page
- Self first appeared in 1987
- Self was created by David Ungar
- file extensions for Self include self
- Have a question about Self not answered here? Email me and let me know how I can help.
Example code from the Hello World Collection:
(| "Hello World in Self" hello = (| | 'Hello World!' print) |)
Example code from Wikipedia:
_AddSlots: (| porsche911 <- sportsCar copy |). porsche911 name:'Bobs Porsche'.
Last updated June 22nd, 2020