Report Program Generator, aka Report Program Generator, is an actively used programming language created in 1959. RPG is a high-level programming language (HLL) for business applications. RPG is an IBM proprietary programming language and its later versions are available only on IBM i- or OS/400-based systems. It has a long history, having been developed by IBM in 1959 as the Report Program Generator - a tool to replicate punched card processing on the IBM 1401 then updated to RPG II for the IBM System/3 in the late 1960s, and since evolved into an HLL equivalent to COBOL and PL/I. Read more on Wikipedia...
- Report Program Generator ranks in the top 5% of languages
- the Report Program Generator wikipedia page
- Report Program Generator first appeared in 1959
- See also: cobol, pl-i, pascal, assembly-language, algol, autocoder, java
- Have a question about Report Program Generator not answered here? Email me and let me know how I can help.
Example code from Wikipedia:
ctl-opt main(GetCustInf); dcl-ds ARMSTF1 ext end-ds; dcl-proc GetCustInf; dcl-pi *n extpgm('CUS001'); inCusNo like(arCNum) const; outName like(arName); outAddr1 like(arAdd1); outAddr2 like(arAdd2); outCity like(arCity); outState like(arStte); outZip like(arZip); end-pi; exec sql select arName, arAdd1, arAdd2, arCity, arStte, arZip into :outName, :outAddr1, :outAddr2, :outCity, :outState, :outZip from ARMSTF1 where arCNum = :inCusNo fetch first 1 row only with CS use currently committed; return; end-proc;
Last updated June 22nd, 2020