basic calculator, aka basic calculator, is a programming language created in 1975. bc, for basic calculator (often referred to as bench calculator), is "an arbitrary-precision calculator language" with syntax similar to the C programming language. bc is typically used as either a mathematical scripting language or as an interactive mathematical shell. A typical interactive usage is typing the command bc on a Unix command prompt and entering a mathematical expression, such as (1 + 3) * 2, whereupon 8 will be output. Read more on Wikipedia...
- basic calculator ranks in the top 25% of languages
- the basic calculator wikipedia page
- basic calculator first appeared in 1975
- tryitonline has an online basic calculator repl
- See also: c, unix, dc, reverse-polish-notation, yacc, bash
- Have a question about basic calculator not answered here? Email me and let me know how I can help.
Example code from Wikipedia:
$ result=$(echo "scale=2; 5 * 7 /3;" | bc) $ echo $result 11.66
Last updated August 9th, 2020