Bash is an actively used programming language created in 1989. Bash is a Unix shell and command language written by Brian Fox for the GNU Project as a free software replacement for the Bourne shell. First released in 1989, it has been distributed widely as the default login shell for most Linux distributions and Apple's macOS (formerly OS X). A version is also available for Windows 10. Read more on Wikipedia...
- Bash ranks in the top 5% of languages
- the Bash website
- the Bash wikipedia page
- Bash first appeared in 1989
- file extensions for Bash include sh, bash, bats, cgi, command, fcgi, ksh, shin, tmux, tool and zsh
- tryitonline has an online Bash repl
- See also: c, gettext, bourne-shell, login, linux, almquist-shell, android, regex, perl, awk, unix, emacs-editor
- I have 83 facts about Bash. what would you like to know? email me and let me know how I can help.
Example code from Linguist:
#!/bin/sh echo "sh"
Example code from Wikipedia:
cd "$SOMEWHERE" && ./do_something || echo "An error occurred" >&2
Last updated July 22nd, 2019