ALGOL 58 is a historical programming language created in 1958. ALGOL 58, originally known as IAL, is one of the family of ALGOL computer programming languages. It was an early compromise design soon superseded by ALGOL 60. According to John Backus "The Zurich ACM-GAMM Conference had two principal motives in proposing the IAL: (a) To provide a means of communicating numerical methods and other procedures between people, and (b) To provide a means of realizing a stated process on a variety of machines..." ALGOL 58 introduced the fundamental notion of the compound statement, but it was restricted to control flow only, and it was not tied to identifier scope in the way that Algol 60's blocks were.. Read more on Wikipedia...
- ALGOL 58 ranks in the top 50% of languages
- the ALGOL 58 wikipedia page
- ALGOL 58 first appeared in 1958
- See also: algol, algol-60, act-iii, jovial, neliac, algo, ada, mad
- I have 25 facts about ALGOL 58. what would you like to know? email me and let me know how I can help.
Last updated December 10th, 2019